Today, is the day. I can finally share my asparagus salad recipe without cringing while I type “what you’ll need!” Ha! Writing about food ALL last week was a total buzz kill. I had no idea I’d feel that way. Just goes to show, I need to write about ALL THE THINGS….not just one topic. Thank god I didn’t start this blog as a food blog. This space would most likely be retired by now.
The perfect mix of lifestyle + fashion + exploring + food keeps me feeling creative and excited to share. So, I think I’ll keep it that way for the future. What do you think? Are you into the mix? Or do you click on my link just for a recipe? Or outfit idea? Now I’m curious 🙂
So, I realized this salad should be named the Rainbow Salad or something much cooler than Asparagus Salad. Don’t you think? I was telling Bay how important it is to eat a variety of colors. Fresh colors. Not red doritos and green fruit snacks…lol. She said, kinda like the rainbow. Yes! Yes, like the rainbow. Whenever my plate is full of color it makes me happy. That normally means, it’s fresh, healthy….and pretty! If it’s pretty (aka instagram worthy) then I’m definitely trying it.
This salad is all those things! I actually saw this on and instagram story. I screen shot it and recreated it. And now I feel like jerk, because I can’t remember who created it so I could give some recipe cred.
Anyone else have a camera roll full of instagram screen shots? I just figured out how to make folders. Totally off topic…we’ll chat about that later. Maybe next week?
Since it is officially asparagus season, we’ll stick with Asparagus Salad. Have you noticed how ridiculously cheap you can get a bunch now? I grabbed this large (skinny) bunch from Pedrick Produce for $1.29. So, I knew I had to make asparagus something. I’m thinking asparagus soup next? Doesn’t that sound killer? Maybe roast it, then puree it? Now my wheels are turing.
This salad also gave me a reason to bust out my The Quails & Olive goodies my homegirl Nicole gave me. She visited the store in Carmel Valley and bought me the Champagne Mimosa Vinegar + Lemon Olive Oil duo. The combination is unreal. I’d never even heard of champagne vinegar. And I’d been on the search for a good lemon olive oil after tasting it at a restaurant in downtown Berkeley. I believe you can find lemon olive oil at Nugget now. Try it! BIG THANK YOU Nicole!!! Love you mucho!
You can totally use regular olive oil + red wine vinegar for this recipe. It will be equally delicious!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 bundle asparagus
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (I used a frozen TJ’s pouch)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 english cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup feta
- 2 cups arugula
- Salt + pepper
- 3 tablespoons lemon olive oil (plain olive oil works too)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (I used champagne vinegar)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
Here’s what you’ll do:
Cut off stems of asparagus and steam. About 3 minutes on the stove top or microwave. (ps…I still don’t own a microwave and we are doing just fine:)) Run cold water over asparagus to cool. Pop in the fridge.
In a small bowl whisk together olive oil + vinegar + salt + pepper. Set aside.
Once asparagus has cooled, toss all the veggies + feta cheese in a large bowl. Or you can line it up in pretty rows and take a fun instagram pic 🙂 Tag me, K?!!?
Toss with dressing. Add additional salt + pepper to taste.
When ready to serve, squeeze 1/2 a lemon over the top. The lemon adds such a fresh taste. I do this to almost all my salads.
Now I need to find a reason to host a brunch or dinner so I can make this salad again. It’s so pretty I want to make and share it with all my people. Maybe Easter?!?!
Just a little something else on my mind today…..
So, last night we went to the “information night” at Lee Middle School. Few things….
- I felt like a senior citizen walking the hallways of my old stomping grounds.
- It really hasn’t changed much. I remember where the Music room was. Mr. Legnitto’s wood shop class…minus Mr. Legnitto. Ms. Gerharts classroom and Mr. Evans Science room. Brought back so many memories.
- We bought a Lee Middle School T-shirt! #itsgettingreal (thanks Terri Price)
- Bay left feeling crazy excited for Middle School.
- Leadership is the coolest elective. Fingers crossed Bay gets selected!!
- When a teacher mentioned they would be there to help students find their classrooms and answer any questions if they needed….Bay said “I’m good, I’ve got Mr. Eoff!” That made me feel really happy!
- All and all, I thought I’d leave feeling stressed or sad. Instead, we both left feeling really excited for what’s to come ♥
Have a great day! Make yourself a skinny, skinny marg tonight and let’s toast to FRIDAY being tomorrow!!!