The epitome of comfort food.
Will all the pasta-soup lovers please stand UP! Yep, I see you! Haha!
This delish bowl of soup has everything your little heart desires; cheesy tortellini, spicy Italian sausage and spinach.
The spinach at the end makes this recipe healthy, right? Riiggghhhhtttt!!!
Sunday was a drizzly rainy day and I knew a big pot of soup was definitely going to happen.
It’s quick + easy for a weeknight dinner too. Try it and let me know what you think!!!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1.25 lbs. ground Italian sausage
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled + diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6 cup chicken stock
- 19 oz package frozen cheese tortellini
- 3 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 cups milk
- salt + pepper
- In a stockpot, cook Italian sausage over medium-high heat until browned. Crumbling it as it cooks. Transfer cooked sausage to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Using about two tablespoons of sausage grease in pot, stir in onions + carrots. Saute for 5 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes. Add flour, evenly coating veggies, and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually add stock. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked sausage + tortellini + milk, continue simmering for 5 more minutes till tortellini is al dente.
- Stir in spinach and season with salt + pepper.
Serve piping hot and enjoy!!!
Next time I think I’ll add a can of Italian diced tomatoes…yummm.
This soup is even better the next day. Be prepared to add a little extra chicken stock though. The soup soaks up most of the broth by day 2.
I served this bowl of goodness with pesto bread and Bailey gave it a thumbs up. I just spread a thin layer of butter over sourdough bread. Followed by a thin layer of pesto. Then topped with parmesan cheese. Broil till bubbly.
Happy soup season!!