A week ago today, Skinny Taste posted this recipe. As you can see, I didn’t waste anytime. Brussels sprouts + bacon + avocado = Yummmm-o. I knew it would be a hit. And sure enough, I will be lunching on this till it’s gone.
Raw brussels stand up so well to dressing, so this is a great left over/make ahead salad. Just add the avocado right before serving and voilà!!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 3 cups shredded brussels sprouts
- 1 avocado, diced
For the dressing:
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Cook bacon until crispy, about 7 minutes. Transfer to paper towel to drain and set aside.
In a mason jar, whisk the dressing ingredients. Place brussels in a bowl and toss with dressing. Top salad with avocado and bacon. Serve immediately.
Yield: 2 servings, Serving size: 2 cups
284 calories, 21g fat, 10g protein
Thank you Skinny Taste for yet another amazingly fresh + simple recipe. It’s a keeper. I will be making this over and over as a bbq side dish.
How to shred brussels sprouts: (since I had to google it)
1. Rise and dry brussels sprouts
2. Slice off the woody stems. This step is particularly important when you’re eating the shredded brussels sprouts raw, but also makes it easier to separate the shredded layers later.
3.Remove and discard outer leaves. The tough, bruised and dried out outer leaves are no good.
4. Halve sprouts. Slice in half from top to bottom.
5. Shred. Turn the sprouts cut-side down and shred them by thinly slicing cross-wise from root to top. Gently pull apart layers into shreds.
I served this salad along with turkey burgers Sunday night and it was a perfect combo.